Head of Development (new development center)
|Our client is a globally operating French credit insurer which for nearly 70 years offers adapted risk prevention, monitoring and protection services to companies of all sizes and nationalities and in all sectors. Clients thus benefit from the expertise and organization of an international Group that can offer them local service fine-tuned to their needs.
The group holds an estimated 20% market share in the credit insurance industry and is present directly or via strategic partnerships in 100 countries, with the ability to offer multinationals a structure suited to their needs that combines global reach and proximity, with a deep knowledge of local economic conditions in multiple sectors.
Due to their specific Business, it's not possible to find off-the-shelf software for all 'core' activities so most of critical core business applications are developed internally.
Their current ambition is to be the most agile global trade credit partner in the industry, while evolving to a more capital efficient business model. The setting of a new IT Application Development Excellence Center based in Bucharest will allow a concentration of efforts and expertise for IT, the main pillar of the plan implementing the strategy.
For this new center, they are currently looking for a Deputy - Head of Development for their team, who would have to become quickly autonomous and able to lead and manage a team of software developers, supporting them in building robust and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose.
1) Main responsibilities
Team leadership, strategy & planning
- To select and follow external developers
- To help to select and recruit internal IT people
- Line management responsibilities will include technical recruitment, appraisals, identifying training needs, motivating and performance managing the team
- To oversee strategy for both product and bespoke code base platform definition and implementation
- To plan for team growth considering the blend/level of skills required within team
- To review project progress and overview of the performance of all individuals in team
- To coach and manage performance where necessary
- To facilitate technology and methodology decision making throughout team, including standardization of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools, best practice, source control and deployment processes
- To have a clear task list and plan for inducting new members into the team and bring them up-to-speed as quickly as possible
Communication and problem solving
- To use your experience when reviewing and auditing legacy code
- To assist in critical support issues where your experience is required to ascertain the issue quickly and to find the more appropriate resolution
- To take control over critical support instances and putting into place the correct escalation and process to manage and resolve issue as soon as possible
- To make sure quotations take into account all possible risks and contain the appropriate contingency
2) Key skills and experience
- A senior level software developer with strong and successful technical lead experience
- Experience of leading a team of developers
- Advanced level (knowledge and experience) of programming languages and methodologies
- Experience of managing, directing and motivating staff to deliver projects with stretching scope and objectives
- Highly numerate and literate, with the ability to produce top quality written specifications and strategy and implementation communication
- Proactive and highly organized, with strong time management and planning skills
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure
3) Key behaviors
- Strong Leadership, professional attitude â and leading by example
- Bright, highly self-motivated and driven
- Passionate about Software Development with a general thirst for digital knowledge and a significant interest in new emerging technologies
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment
- Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving and the ability to develop, deliver and evaluate brilliant ideas founded on rock-solid strategic thinking
- Reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence