|Our client makes games - how cool is that? In fact, they entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That's why they employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead:
The Monitoring Engineer for our client's game development studios and corporate services will be responsible for leading the company into the future of Monitoring as a Service, through data collection and engineering of monitoring technology solutions.
As a key member of the Game Dev Foundational Service & Infrastructure Architecture team you'll work with a great team of Architect's and Engineering. Responsible for IT Data collections, Data analytics, and Data visualization for all IT services maintained within the Company service portfolio. The monitoring service integrates many different technology types to provide complete event and performance based trending, alerting and ticketing from Layer1 uptime, network trending, Server performance, right up to application performance.
Responsibilities will include reviewing technology currently used to collect data metrics and enhance these services to meet the growing needs of our IT partners. Lead the team during the development process to set and meet schedule delivery milestones.
What an Enterprise Infrastructure Monitoring Engineer in Game Development & Infrastructure Services is responsible for:
- Providing Data collection designs and solutions for our client Enterprise services that span multiple Technologies and locations.
o Network Services (LAN, WAN, Firewall, Edge, VPN ...)
o Storage filers
o Virtual environments
o Security services (Logging services)
o Applications (NetFlow services, NBAR/AVC services, TRAP services)
- Design Infrastructure focused monitoring solutions that scales to meet the large variety of devices using within modern IT organizations.
- Develop data visualization solutions that defines clear relationships between large data sets
o Dashboards, Portals
- Data Aggregation designs with custom and Open API solutions
o Event Management optimization designs
o Deduplication, Correlation, Ticketing
- Mentor other engineers and partners in `good` practices for data , design and engineering
- Reviews the design and implementation of architecture components and map them to the long term vision
- Develop and maintain relationships with our client's IT Service Lines Leaders and Development Studio partners & Stakeholders to ensure their monitoring and trending requirements are being met.
- Review and evaluate new monitoring solutions to stay ahead of the
- Deliver detailed Monitoring component assessments, design, cost analysis, implementation strategies, timelines and configuration guidance to project teams
Skills the next great Monitoring Engineer also needs:
- Proven ability to deliver solutions that incorporate high availability, operations supportability and scalability - Technology life cycle perspective
- Expertise of common Infrastructure Monitoring services:
o SNMP (MIB dependency mapping/compiling)
o SNMP-TRAP/Informs (Event handling solutions)
o Syslog Services (Syslog-NG, Splunk, Elastic (ELK); CI tracking)
- Data Management skills:
o JSON, REST, Mysql, MSSQL, XML
- Scripting language skills:
o Python, Perl, Bash, PHP; understanding of - Java, Ruby, Expect(TCL)
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- A Bachelors or Master's degree in a technical discipline is preferred
- ITIL v3 Foundation
- Experience in common open source monitoring/metric/build software
- Ability to conduct technical training to engineering and support teams
- In-depth knowledge of security best practices in large-scale environments
- Demonstrated experience in business and product planning processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, presentation, and customer service skills
- Create, manage and maintain dashboards and management packs
- Create and maintain operational dashboards for both real-time and trended views for multiple levels of users (Operations, Engineering, Development, Business and Executive).
- Collaborate with business, R&D, infrastructure, operations and other key partners to ensure operational readiness of new solutions and ongoing optimization/improvement of existing solutions
- Ensure services are monitored to agreed Service Level Agreements and reports are available for the same
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring infrastructure, application performance, and end user experience in a complex enterprise environment
- Relevant knowledge of monitoring industry standards and the use of analytics in an operational setting
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure components, including servers, network devices, and load balancers
- Knowledge of key metrics important for efficient application and network performance
- Ability to work with both Windows and Linux operating environments.
What is in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about their great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement and, of course, free video games. And since they realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, they offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. They live the "work hard/play hard" credo every day.