Junior Java developer (relocation to Utrecht)
|With over 5,5 million Dutch and Belgian customers, our client is one of the largest retailers in Holland and Belgium, offering over 10 million products which are easy to find on any device and an inspiring, strictly personal shopping experience.
With 15 to 20 million page views per day, our client's e-commerce website is a textbook example of a state of the art big data environment. This environment is developed and maintained by 40+ Scrum teams. From desktop to mobile, and from product catalogue to CRM systems, their Scrum teams create the company landscape and make it future-proof.
We are currently looking for a Junior Java developer to join our client's team in Holland (Utrecht), driven by the need to be at the cutting edge of the big data revolution :)
As a Software Engineer you will develop, test and implement innovative Java based solutions for our client's retail platform and back-end processes.
A few of the questions our client will need you to answer might be:
- How can we port web-based solutions to mobile?
- How can we integrate the catalogues of external vendors into the regular catalogue?
- What tools will enable us to automate the test process?
You analyze these questions often in tandem with business units and come up with answers that go beyond functional requirements to address performance, scalability (think HBase) and security.
You provide proactive go-live support, including organizational embedding (tests, user support, demonstrations).
Additionally, you develop tools that further optimize the development process itself, helping us to realize our ambition of making continuous integration a corporate standard.
You adhere to best practices, including specification by example, and are regularly asked to share your ideas with the entire organization.
- Develop, test, and implement Java based solutions
- Deliver software that goes beyond basic functional requirements
- Provide go-live support, including organizational embedding
- Develop first-in-class tools, e.g. to automate testing
- Ambassador of innovative ideas in software development
Some interesting projects our client is working on
- Refactoring the website, to make their platform scalable and ready for the future
- Our client's e-commerce website will be made fully responsive, so that it also works well on mobile, tablet and desktop
- Their customer service application will be completely rebuilt
- Their recommendation engine will be amplified so that their recommendations fit every individual customer based on their real-time click behavior
- Working on a new and improved payment and shipping system
Who you are
You are an enthusiastic Software Engineer with a passion for modern tooling and a strong ambition to prove yourself in a complex IT landscape. In previous roles you have demonstrated an ability to translate functional requirement into scalable solutions. You enjoy close working relationships with business units and you can present in-depth IT proposals lucidly and persuasively. Naturally, you are impervious to deadline stress and you follow IT developments from tweet to tweet. You enjoy being at the forefront!
- Bachelor's/Master's degree preferred
- Hands-on development experience, preferably in a Scrum/Agile environment
- Familiar with specification by example and continuous integration
Your work environment
Our client offers an IT-driven work environment in which Scrum and Agile are the principle organizational standards. Thanks to development processes, congresses, hackathons and last but not least constant feedback from team members, you can expand your professional horizon at record pace. A mix of cutting edge and proven technology? An open, informal setting that encourages and rewards initiative? A think future, act now philosophy geared towards continuous delivery? Choose your own devices (CYOD) & tools? Come join our client!